Elusive literary works awaiting the eclectic reader.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book



For those of you who prefer to see the reader, here is a link to do just that. Neil's people have uploaded videos of him reading the chapters. They will, in time, upload videos of him reading each and every chapter. So, in effect, he will have gifted the entire book to his fans. Why, would he do this? First, I'm sure it won't stay up forever. Second, he has realized that it pays off in the long run. After having given out, for a limited time, American Gods and Neverwhere, his publisher has noted an increase in sales across the board for all of his books. It makes sense really. There are so many books available on this planet that it boggles the mind. If you can get someone to actually read your book you have a potential reader for all your books. You can't catch a fish without bait. Its a win win situation for the author and his fans or potential readers. How great is that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the links. I had always thought Neil Gaiman was more a macbre writer, much to scary for me. After reading American Gods for free, I discovered, much to my surprise, that he's a wonderful storyteller. Thanks again!!1

Anonymous said...

I can't give out a free book because I only have one. Once I get more out there, I may consider this.